December 19, 2013

Blogmas 05: DIY Mason Jar Tea Light "Candles"

So this year, I decided to do something different for my Don house team for Christmas/Hanukkah presents. Usually I just buy things but I'm not the best at buying things for people. This is where Youtube and Bethany Mota (Macbarbie07) came in. I saw a video she posted about DIY mason jars with tea lights in them and I knew that's exactly what I wanted to give. So with a few supplies from the Dollar store and a local art store, I was ready to go!



What You Need
Mason jars
Glitter
Spray adhesive
Vinyl adhesive or frisket film (I used frisket because it was cheaper!)
Tealights
Glass beads - various colors



Step 1: Cut out the shape you want out of the frisket film, peel off the backing, and stick it on the side of the jar where you want the cut out  to be.


Step 2: Shake up your spray glue jar and spray a generous amount inside the jar. 
Step 3: Very quickly, pour in the glitter color that you want the jar to have, close the lid, shake it around, and empty the access. I originally did just one coat but I decided to do two instead. So I let the first coat for an hour, and repeated steps 2-3. 


Step 4: VERY carefully, peel out the frisket film. Make sure you do this step slowly and carefully.


Step 6: Put in some glass beads and the tea light. Bam! You're done.


I really like how easy this DIY is. I'm famous for messing up even the simplest things but this is definitely an easy DIY that makes a great present for anyone in your life. This was particularly perfect for me because as Dons, we are not allowed to have any candles in our rooms. The fact that these give the same ambience as a candle makes it a great present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...